Re: [hylafax-users] How to get page count for faxcover?

Lee Howard wrote:

Joe wrote:

Lee Howard wrote:
<snip>

So, when I see a request-for-enhancement come up without the requestor providing the means to a solution (e.g. a patch) it is my impression, then, that there is no fault and that the request is merely that, a casual request, without prioritization.

So don't submit enhancement requests without a patch?

Oh no, please do. Just don't assign fault anywhere. :-)

Bug reports (in this case a feature request) with blame attached to them are the least-fun to work on.

Lee.

Lee:

I sure know how easy it is to misread motive and intent in an email message, but I have to say that I took some of your comments to Joe in much the same way he appeared to take them based on his questions.

I think that youve done a pretty good job of being clear about your intent at this point.

Now for the root issue... Lets say I want to enhance hylafax some way, but lets also say I dont know how (or lets say that I havent got time to learn for the next couple of months due to my current workload.)

Lets also say that I send in an enhancement request. Lets further say that someone else on this list has already done what I want to do and it isnt hard.

How do we get together?

The wiki doesnt have a spot for enhancement requests, or a way to vote on which enhancements might be the most useful.

so we use this list as a way for two people on it to discuss some particular aspect of hylafax and what they want to do about it.

I would suggest that the best way to handle this is with the wiki. user modified comments might drive a priority scoring system, maybe an online poll or something.

I wouldnt submit a patch or a fix for a problem I reported unless I had a chance to test it. And the chances of me testing any hylafax bugs any time soon are slim to none.

Just a thought, Im sure many of us would be willing to vote on which features to implement first.

Rance

--

Rance Hall
System Administrator