[hylafax-users] Incoming faxes get eaten (Debian Linux, HF 4.2.1, MT5600ZDX Rev 36)

Server is Debian Linux (testing), HylaFax 4.2.1, and the modem is
a MT5600ZDX, firmware revision 36.00

Outgoing faxes worked flawlessly for months now. I want to now accept
incoming faxes as well, but they either get garbaged outright or cut off
partially down the page. Cutoffs are far more common than garbaged faxes.
The page is always cut off somewhere before the first 4 inches. The
recieved fax before the cut-off is always fine. This happens with both
xonxoff and rtscts flow control. Is there something other than flow
control which can cause this sort of behavior? Google says this only
happens for people that fail flow control.

I use the default configuration file provided by the installation script,
except I changed the flow control mode back and forth a few times. crtscts
seemed to work better than xonxoff so that's where I left it.