Re: [hylafax-users] Using Hylafax and Asterisk at the same time?

Jian Hong GUAN wrote:

I would like to make the fax by using Hylafax and Asterisk at the same time. Hylafax - faxsend stores the fax file in its spool without sending it, and then an application of the type ftp sends this file to the spool Asterisk, at the end Asterisk - txfax sends this fax file...

You're giving up a lot by using txfax/rxfax instead of HylaFAX for the actual fax communication.

Yes, there are ways to use HylaFAX faxq and write your own faxsend that will drop .call files into txfax's attention, and I think that there are things on Sourceforge to help you do that. However, I could never bring myself to do this. The sacrifice would have been too great.

Right now Asterisk does not have very good fax support. So for the most part you will not want to pass fax through an Asterisk PBX. (Like, have a separate phone line dedicated for fax.) That said, you can get reliable performance by simply using the Asterisk PBX as a T1 PRI "bridge"... meaning you bring your T1 into your multi-port T1 card on your Asterisk server, and then you send all fax calls back out through a different port which terminates on a T1 faxmodem in your HylaFAX server or on a T1 channel bank that is connected to analog faxmodems.

However, I can certainly understand that if you don't use fax very often, don't want to use an on-line fax service, don't want to pay for a dedicated fax line, and aren't using T1 lines that the options above aren't really options at all. So for that purpose (and *still* not wanting to use txfax/rxfax) I've created IAXmodem. See: https://sourceforge.net/projects/iaxmodem Realize that the first release on this was just a week ago, and so I wouldn't say that IAXmodem is ready for heavy production use. However, if you're interested in testing, playing around, or maybe just deal with a random fax once in a while... well, then maybe IAXmodem will be good to you for now.

Lee.