Re: [hylafax-users] Debugging PDF conversion?

HaraldFinnås wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why conversion from pdf to ps doesn't work. Here's my assumptions on how it's supposed to work, so please correct me if I've misunderstood anything...

Following the instructions for a qmail email gateway, I use recommended script which contains (among others):

/usr/bin/faxmail | /usr/bin/sendfax \
        -n -f "$SENDER" \
        -d "$EXT2@`/usr/bin/expr \"$HOST\" : '\(.*\)\.fax$'`"

If I understand this correctly, faxmail will remove most mail headers from the message (keeping from, to, subject etc.) and convert all mime attachments. The output from faxmail will then be processed by sendfax which will convert the text and pdf file to postscript. From what I've been able to figure out, a pdf conversion filter is builtin with Hylafax 4.2 versions unless some other filter is specified in typerules.

When using my gateway now, the pdf conversion seems to fail. I only get a single page containing the from/to/subject/date part from the email, and the log contains:

lastSendFailure:"Communication failure during Phase B/C"

According to a few articles I've found, since the first page is transmitted just fine, this indicates a local configuration error, not a comm. problem.

Now, how can I figure out why the pdf conversion fails? I cannot find anything regarding the conversion filter in the logs.

Using ver. 4.2.1 on CentOS 4.1 btw.

Dunno if this is relevant but I've had problems with pdf2ps which is, I think, the convertor hylafax uses by default. Try running a conversion by hand and see if it errors out. If so try acrobat:

acroread -toPostScript -pairs pdf_file ps_file

and hand the postscript file off to sendfax instead of a PDF.

--
Stephen Carville <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Unix and Network Admin