Re: [hylafax-users] Problem configuring Caller ID retrieval in incoming faxes

VaibhaV Sharma wrote:

PS: An entry in the FAQ might save some replying effort in the future.

The problem doing that is trying to catch the myriad of different ways that USRs have problems and then to put a related FAQ somewhere where someone will find it.

For example, in your case you would have looked for a FAQ about Caller-ID. So we'd have to prepend every single potential Caller-ID FAQ-hit with something like "If you're using a USR modem ... especially in Class 2.0 ... then just don't."

It's just hard to do. Like trying to kill an elephant with an air rifle. The USR problem is just too big to expect to just go away with a FAQ tucked away somewhere.

I think that we could have in big letters "Don't even think about using a USR modem for faxing" all over every page of the HylaFAX website and people would still want to try to use USR modems... and then we'd get lots of testimonials from happy USR users, too, that would want us to take the prejudicial signs down.

There's just too many possible problems with USRs. So if someone's using a USR modem and runs into a problem the best thing to do would be for them to go get something else. But, if they're not going to do that (and it seems that everybody wants that old junk modem on their shelf to work magic for them), then at least they should stop using Class 2.0. Every USR modem that I've ever tried has supported Class 1.

Anyway, these kinds of messages are all throughout the mailing list archives.

I'm glad that your problem was fixed. :-)

Lee.