Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX 4.2.1-23 and Fedora Core 3

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 08:31, you wrote:
> * Terry D. Boldt <fastsnip-hylafax1@xxxxxxxxx> [050830 20:44]:
> > > 1) Make sure they are using the same device node (both, /dev/ttySX, or
> > > both /dev/ttyLT0).  This needs to be true, or the locking just won't
> > > work.  If they are using different device nodes (which may point to the
> > > same physical device), the both programs can have exlusive access to
> > > their device node, but be hammering on the same device at the same
> > > time.
> >
> > Done, done, done - they are on the same device
> > /dev/ttyS0
>
> Great.
>
> > > 2) Make sure that the locking is consistent between all the programs.
> > > In HylaFAX, this can be configured by the UUCPLock* config options.
> > > For
> >
> > Okay - I have searched the documentation that came with the source. No
> > mention that I can find of "UUCPLock* config options". Where do I find
> > these options and how are they specified?
>
> man hylafax-config:
>        UUCPLockMode
>               The file protection mode that should be used when creating
> UUCP lockfiles.  Note that this  value  is  given  in octal.
>
>        UUCPLockDir
>               The pathname of the directory in which UUCP lockfiles are to
> be created.
>
>        UUCPLockTimeout
>               The  time  in seconds to wait before removing a stale UUCP
> lockfile (i.e. a lockfile whose owner does not appear to exist).  If this
> value is set to 0, then the fax server will never remove a stale lockfile.
>
>        UUCPLockType
>               A string that specifies the type of UUCP lockfile to create.
> The string may be one of ``ascii''  or  ``binary'' depending  on  whether
> the process-ID of the lock owner is written to the file as an ascii string
> or as a binary value, respectively.  In addition, two prefixes may be used
> to control the format of the lock filename.  If  the type  string  is
> prefixed with a ``+'', then SVR4-style filenames are generated using the
> major device number of the tty device and the major and minor device
> numbers for the filesystem on which the tty  device  resides.   If the
> type  string  is prefixed with a ``-'', then any upper case letters in the
> device part of the lockfile name are converted to lower case letters; for
> example, ``LCK..ttyA01'' is converted to ``LCK..ttya01''.  This  upper-
> to-lower  case  conversion is useful for systems such as SCO where the
> convention is to name devices with upper- case letters, but create
> lockfiles with lower-case letters.
>
> > > kppp, you will have to figure out what type of locking it's doing, and
> > > then make both kppp and hylafax use the same locking mechanism.
> >
> > Done -
> > kppp set the lock file as /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0
> > and HylaFAX set the lock file as /var/lock/uucp/LCK..ttyS0
> >
> > Tried changing the file /var/spool/hylafax/etc/setup.cache to define the
> > UUCP_LOCKDIR variable to the same directory as used by kppp, but faxgetty
> [...]

did just that, created the following line in /var/spool/etc/config.ttyS0

UUCPLockDir:		/var/lock

(Note that there are two tab characters between the ':' and the first '/'.

The doc "man hylafax-config" stated that the white space (tabs) would be
ignored.

Tried the above. Unfortunately faxgetty totally ignored the line and continues
to create the lock file in /var/lock/uucp

Thus, kppp (which has the lock file name and directory hard coded) and
faxgetty continue to conflict.

So again, practice over-rides theory. In theory, faxgetty is "supposed" to
read /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.ttyS0 and use the configuration specified
therein. In practice, faxgetty just doesn't do that. So kppp creates it's
lock file in /var/lock and faxgetty creates it's lock file in /var/lock/uucp
and neither seems to be able to change that.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry

> a.

If you are always rushing towards the future,
Then you never have any past.

Terry Boldt
Paraphrasing Ben Franklin:

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

The exact quote:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790),
  US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer
  Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759