[hylafax-users] HylaFAX 4.2.1-23 and Fedora Core 3

Having a problem with HylaFAX 4.2.1-23.

Installed on Fedora Core 3 from source. This is an FC3 workstation, everything
installed and upgraded, using kernal 2.6.11-27.FC3

Intsalled, ran "faxsetup" and from that "faxaddmodem", then ran "faxadduser"
and added myself. My login name shows up in the config file (I forget the
file name) as FaxMaster.

Problem: I can send  A (i.e., ONE ) fax. After the fax is sent, HylaFAX goes
into a mode where it does 1 of 2 things:

1. apparently "hangs" (no - not really), but just sits there "waiting for the
modem to come ready". By scrounging around in the system, I found a file
"/var/spool/hylafax/info/ttyS0" (ttyS0 is the modem) with the above message
as the only text in the file and "rw" by uucp only. As root I can rename the
file and then HylaFAX, changes to "running and idle".

2. HylaFAX is now sitting in a mode of "running". No faxes are sent. The above
mentioned file is absent. I can run faxstat or ksendfax and the system status
is simply "running", but nothing happens. I have stopped and then started
hfaxd, no change. I have rebooted the system, no change. HylaFAX is simply
"running" and doing nothing. I have re-run 'faxsetup", no change. I have run
"faxaddmodem", no change.

I have found that faxgetty and kppp do not co-exist readily. I was able to get
kppp to dial out and login to my ISP once, but it quickly died because the
modem had been sent the hang-up command (from faxgetty I suspect). I have
made do with swapping the "/etc/inittab" file between a plain vanilla one and
a faxgetty one and rebooting to get faxgetty functionality when I need to
receive faxes. Then reswapping and rebooting. I don't need to receive very
often, as in very seldom.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry
If you are always rushing towards the future,
Then you never have any past.

Terry Boldt
Paraphrasing Ben Franklin:

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

The exact quote:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790),
  US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer
  Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759