Re: [hylafax-users] OS X user experiences wanted

"Jim Moseby" <JMoseby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Regardless of Mr. Nickerson's claims, any reasonably computer literate soul
will have excellent results in setting up HylaFAX on their first Linux
installation, especially with the help of this list's contributors. What
have you got to lose, give it a try! I did, and I haven't looked back.

I think you misrepresent my claims Mr. Moseby ;-) I'll be the last one to discourage ANYONE from using HylaFAX! I was just saying that even though a box might be shipped 'turnkey' and preconfigured, it's still Linux and as such might not be as 'easy' as one might hope.

My first introduction to *NIX was in fact through my use of HylaFAX (then FlexFAX)... on an old Sun Sparc IPC running SunOS before the days of Solaris. I had a classic newbie moment - one day I decided to move a little file called ld.so for a minute, ... it looked small and unimportant enough ... then *BOOM*. Thus began my lesson in static vs. dynamically linked binaries.

I'm all for people learning to use Linux and HylaFAX from scratch, all at once. There's a learning curve to both technologies though, and I'm willing to bet there's a lot of people who won't find it as easy as you did. But by all means please do go out, download a distro and slap a HylaFAX package on it or, better yet, compile it yourself! It's all there for you. You'll be amazed at what you can do - just expect a few scraped knees along the way ;-)

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer