Re: [hylafax-users] OS X user experiences wanted

Rick Dwyer wrote:

Hello All.

We are considering a HylaFax install on an OS X machine. I would be interested in knowing what others who have performed and install on OS X think about it's performance. Also, I would like to know specifically the hardware they used, what type of fax modems and/or boards they are using, what number of ports they have attempted to run. What was their personal experience with the install process, is anyone considering putting together a nice neat install package, etc.? All this information would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

I've installed HylaFAX on OS X a number of times. I've used the internal soft modems and also USB modems. In each case I wasn't extremely happy with the underlying OS X driver set - the soft modem driver has been a problem and also the USB host driver has given me grief. The problems weren't enough to make the user stop using OS X or HylaFAX, but to me it seemed a bit silly to want to put up with that just to use OS X (when PC hardware is cheap and GNU-Linux is free). Apple has appeared to have worked on those issues over time, too, as the newer releases have seem to have indicated.

OS X is a beautiful operating system. Sadly, Apple appears to have put its own fax services behind the efax package (probably because it was more lightweight than HylaFAX). The HylaFAX-on-OS X crowd is therefore a small one, unfortunately, and it seems destined to stay that way. That makes troubleshooting and user-group-based support more difficult than it would be, say, if you were using GNU-Linux.

Lee.