Re: [hylafax-users] pdf2ps, faxmail, sendfax, sendmail

Robert,

I've got a Debian Sarge install with Postfix and
Hylafax 4.1.x.  I've been trolling for information for
this for ages with no firm answer.

From what I understand, you need to set the
postfix/sendmail/exim mail filter mangle up to handle
e-mails, which it sounds like you have in place.  The
next thing is you have to setup a MIME converter to
handle the conversion from pdf to ps.  This is where I
am at present.

I'll send you what I have (which isn't much), to see
if you can get any further than myself.  If you have
any success, I'd be grateful to know.

Here's the fax section of /etc/hylafax/hyla.conf:

<snip>
MIMEConverters: /usr/bin/hylamail/application
<end-snip>

Here's /usr/bin/hylamail/filter.pl:

<snip>
#!/bin/bash

/bin/echo " "
/bin/echo "showpage"
/usr/bin/pdftops $1 | /usr/bin/hylamail/filter.pl
cipher:/usr/bin/hylamail/application# cat
/usr/bin/hylamail/filter.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
# Read from the standard input
@text=<STDIN>;
$size=@text;

# Count the number of "showpage"
$count=0;
for($i=0;$i<=$size;$i++){if($text[$i] =~
/showpage/){$count++;}}

# Discard the last line that contain "showpage"
$num=1;
for($i=0;$i<=$size;$i++){
   if($text[$i] =~ /showpage/){
      if($num!=$count){$num++;}
      else{$text[$i]=~s/showpage//g;}
   }

   print $text[$i];
}
<end-snip>

Here's /usr/bin/hylamail/application/pdf:

<snip>
#!/bin/bash

/bin/echo " "
/bin/echo "showpage"
/usr/bin/pdftops $1 | /usr/bin/hylamail/filter.pl
<end-snip>

Here's the fax section of /etc/postfix/transport:

<snip>
fax     fax:localhost
<end-snip>

Here's the fax section of /etc/postfix/master.cf:

<snip>
# use for hylafax
fax      unix    -       n       n       -       1
  pipe
  flags= user=fax argv=/usr/bin/faxmail -d -n ${user}
${sender}
<end-snip>

Here's the fax section from /etc/postfix/main.cf:

<snip>
# use for hylafax
fax_destination_recipient_limit = 1
<end-snip>

The filter.pl and postfix stuff came stright from the
hylafax source as the faxmail-postfix mangle.  I've
set postfix to accept only the @fax domain and
automatically send out any e-mail destined for
<number>@fax to be send via hylafax to <phonenumber>.

As with the stage you are at, I cannot get the
filter.pl to automatically strip any pdf attachments,
convert them to ps and tack them on the end of the
fax.  It's been driving me crazy for ages.

I think if we are able to get this working, we should
get it added as a fully documented section in the
hylafax documentation.

Ben

http://au.movies.yahoo.com