Re: [hylafax-users] COMREC Errors with MultiTech MT1932ZDX Modems

Brian S. Drexler wrote:

Greetings to all. I’ve been having a problem with my HylaFAX solution that is growing more and more irritating. I have been getting COMREC errors on more and more incoming faxes. I will receive two out of three pages and then it seems to die. I can’t figure out what’s going on. After searching the internet for the last two days, the best thing that I have come up with to try is upgrading the firmware of my modems (which I can’t seem to find a firmware update because they are so old). I contacted Multi-tech out of desperation but I doubt I will get a whole lot of help from them. Does anyone have any idea what I could do to help this problem? I have no problem with buying new modems, but that can get a bit pricey (especially since I’m using nine of these). But I won’t rule that out as an option. Any help or suggestions (including modem models I could use as a replacement) would be greatly appreciated.

I’m running RedHat 6.2, with HylaFAX 4.2.1 (upgraded a couple days ago).

Apr 12 08:29:24.19: [26109]: --> [20:+FPTS:2,1062,158,6,0]

Apr 12 08:30:01.89: [26109]: --> [19:+FPTS:1,1057,50,4,0]

Apr 12 08:30:25.61: [26109]: --> [21:+FPTS:2,1081,337,15,0]

The bad line counts (158, 50, 337) indicate a fair amount of communication interference occuring between the modem and the sender. As this kind of interference increases the number of problems you'll see will also increase. Many senders will "ignore" the meaning of an RTN signal, and although it will retrain afterwards it will not resend the page. Thus, you're only going to see one page here (the 2nd page) which was not "dirty" enough to trigger RTN.

So the best thing that you could do for yourself is to figure out what is causing the interference and fix that. However, in the short long run, as people and businesses start migrating their PBXes and phone infrastructure to VoIP, many senders will be trying to use it as a fax medium, and so we're going to have to come to expect a fair amount of interference as "normal" for uncontrolled environments.

So the next thing you should look at is getting into using ECM. If your modem supports Class 1 then switch to it. If it doesn't then get a modem that does.

The last thing... is that HylaFAX probably should, as part of the "SaveUnconfirmedPages" feature, save pages that were rejected with RTN because "most" of the time the sender will not retransmit them. So despite the fact that the page is dirty, we'll need to keep it, because it's all that we've got. HylaFAX doesn't do this yet.

Lee.