Re: [hylafax-users] MT5634ZPX-PCI poll results

I just ran across this thread.  I have the same modem/version as Adam Donald, and it has been in service since the first of this year.  I have never experienced wedging, but several times I have seen the phone jack on the modem lose its dial tone.  I never have found anything that confirms when it happened, but it is always seems to be noticed shortly after a "premature V.34 termination".  We have a stand-alone fax machine hooked up to this jack for sending faxes, so it doesn't get noticed until someone tries to send a fax through that machine.  During this time the fax modem continues to function (both sending and receiving) without any problems.  The only way I have found so far to get a dial tone back is to reboot the server.  Next time it happens I'll try to gather some more details based on what I've read here and post them to the list.

Steve Tuckner wrote:
Hello all,

Here are the results of my poll on user experiences with the Multi-Tech MT5634ZPX-PCI modems. There are some questions I would like answers to and those are in the notes section. If people on the list who I have referenced could send me an email with those answers I can include them into the table.

As an experiment, I would suggest that Mike McMullen and Adam Donald try downgrading to 1.25p to see if that helps (if you haven't already done so).

Thanks for your help,

Steve Tuckner
Multi-Tech Systems

-Table of user reports-

name # of modems model version usage results notes
Mike McMullen 1 PCI-U 1.32I send+recv wedging 1,2
Bill Binko 3 PCI 1.25P send+recv works OK 1,3
Frank Peters 1 PCI 1.32H send works OK 1,4
Marthter 1+1 USR PCI-U 1.32F send works OK
Mehmet Cer ? ? 1.25p ? works OK 1,5
Steven Kurylo 1 1 1.32F ? works OK 1
Adam Donald 2 PCI-U 1.32I recv locks up 6
  1. How is the modem being used in terms of send/receive volumes?
  2. About every other day he got modem's wedged. Requires reboot and unplug phone lines. Should try 1.25p.
  3. Was at 1.32c but backed off to 1.25p when modems wouldn't come back online after successful calls. Has 1.32c on low volume machine working fine. Were modem's wedged? Would a reboot be required to reset modems?
  4. Uses class 2.1.
  5. Log level not high enough. Modem spits garbage when answering call when using 1.32I.
  6. Modems aren't answering incoming calls. Restart of faxgetty is necessary to clear up. Does the modem respond to AT commands? Do RING messages come out?