Re: [hylafax-users] Fax across VoIP lines working for anyone?

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 11:50 -0700, Scott Bishop - Personal wrote:
> Sorry.  I always forget to change the account this is sent from to the
> one I’m registered here with…
> Does anyone have a scenario with faxmodems working well across VoIP
> lines rather than POTS lines?

We have a large 15 site network connected via point-to-point,
frame-relay, and ISDN circuits.  And VOIP telephony systems in each
site.

Fax over VOIP doesn't work (and this is with Cisco routers, and entirely
switched network, and end-to-end QoS).

If you want to facilitate document exchange (from physical documents)
across your network look into copiers that support Scan-to-file or
Scan-to-email.

> I’m running HylaFAX 4.2.1 on a Mandrake Linux 10.0 box with a couple
> of MultiTech MT5634ZPX-PCI cards in it.
> I would love to get this working across my VoIP lines so that I
> disconnect my POTS lines.
> Anyone have any suggestions, experience, solutions to VoIP delays,
> retransmits, QoS, and losses?

Fax, like data-over-analog, is simply too time and encoding sensitive to
work reliably over VOIP.