Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax 4.2 + FaxNotify

Hello Lionel,

yesterday I had the same problem and I modified the scripts notify and tiff2pdf.
One part of the problem occurred with TIFF files only.

First problem:
In faxrcvd I found this:
# These settings may not be present in setup.cache if user upgraded and
# didn't re-run faxsetup; we set them before calling setup.cache for
# backward compatibility.
ENCODING=base64
MIMENCODE=base64-encode
TTYCMD=tty
. etc/setup.cache

There is no such code in notify script.

(I did not re-run faxsetup because I use an ISDN card with CAPI and faxsetup will ask a lot of questions which are only related to modems.)

That's why in notify MIMENCODE was undefined.

Second problem:

After inserting code similar to faxrcvd a manual call to notify hung because MIMENCODE=base64-encode is called with the filename as argument. The man page says it does not accept any argument, it has to be called as a filter or with input redirection. (If notify is called from Hylafax with input redirection it might produce empty attachments instead of hanging.)
I changed the call to $MIMENCODE.

Third problem:

The script tiff2pdf did not work with my TIFF file. The code to extract the resolution values with tiffinfo works only if the resolution unit is pixels/inch not pixels/cm. (This seems to be a property of the TIFF file.)
I changed the grep/sec/sort combination to an awk script which works with pixels/cm. It's supposed to work with pixels/inch as well but I did not yet have such a TIFF file for testing.

I will prepare a patch and submit a bug report for Debian.

If you like I can send you my modified scripts but these are nearly untested.

Bodo