Re: [hylafax-users] receipt as pdf gets only empty file

Josef Ender wrote on 14/12/04 07:41 PM:

Hello Martin

Many thanks for your help!

> First of all, you made the pdf/pfd typo two out of three times in this
> e-mail.  Are you sure you didn't make the same mistake in your

Yup, sorry mistyped....

> Second, as recommended when you joined the list
> (http://www.hylafax.org/mailing-lists.html) you should give your

Uuuuh, again sorry for that. Here is my data:
HylaFAX Version 4.2.0
OS Linux Debian Sarge Kernel 2.4.27
Modem: Zyxel U1496E/V 6.21 M

You are cool! exactly the base64 was missing in my email..... but
I applied your suggestion. Now I get Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 but still no file data. Here is an example:

---snip---

--NextPart14688

Your facsimile job to 00498121900002255 was completed successfully.

         Pages: 2
       Quality: Normal
    Page Width: 209 (mm)
   Page Length: 296 (mm)
   Signal Rate: 14400 bit/s
   Data Format: 2-D MR
         Calls: 4 (total phone calls placed)
Submitted From: localhost.localdomain
         JobID: 58
       GroupID: 58
        CommID: c000000090

Processing time was 0:50.

--NextPart14688

--NextPart14688--

--------------040406080803020503030607--

---snip---

> Apparently /var/spool/hylafax/etc/notify has the following lines:

do you mean: /var/spool/hylafax/etc/FaxNotify? or is it the same?

whoops. Actually I meant /var/spool/hylafax/bin/notify which I guess calls /var/spool/hylafax/etc/FaxNotify if it exists. Serves me right trying to answer definitively when I've only barely figured it out myself!

> The cause of this, I believe, is doing an upgrade but failing to run
> faxsetup again after the upgrade.  Is this what you did?

This is a newly installed system. AFAIR there was no upgrade.

I rerun faxsetup and added some lines to FaxNotify. My complete FaxNotify is now:
RETURNFILETYPE=pdf;
ENCODING=base64
. etc/setup.cache
ENCODING=base64

But still the same:
No Attachment data: like in the example above.

any more ideas?

many thanks!

Josi

Hmmm. I'm afraid you've reached the end of my expertise here. I'm sort of a one trick pony as far as the PDF topic goes... since it happened to me and I troubleshooted myself out of the situation I've tried to jump in when I see others with what looks like the same problem (give back to the community a bit yadda yadda). Now you've tried my suggestions and it didn't fully work for you (though it seems to have improved somewhat) I guess you must have another different problem with similar symptoms. (Actually when it happened to me, I could see the encoded data was there in the message source, but it sounds like you don't even have that.)

I suspect that your etc/FaxNotify does not need to call etc/setup.cache since bin/notify already calls etc/setup.cache. That may even be hurting you, I don't know. My guess would be (assuming you ran faxsetup already to correct the base64 part) that you only need the one line (the RETURNFILETYPE line) in FaxNotify.

I think you should check the hylafax site/FAQ/list archives (adding "site:hylafax.org" to google searches is handy) for stuff about MIMENCODE or uuencode_it. I don't know all the nitty gritty details, but it depends on which encoding packages you have installed.

I guess the next thing I'd try is look in the log files (I usually only look in /var/spool/hylafax/log to do this for incoming faxes) and see if there is a line showing you exactly what command line is being called to do the notify. For example for outgoing faxes, I see this in my /var/log/messages:

Dec 15 02:29:26 socrates FaxQueuer[18826]: NOTIFY: bin/notify "doneq/q16228" "failed" "0:43"

You can change to the /var/spool/hylafax directory and (as root) try whatever command you see in your logs (just cut and paste from the "bin/notify" onwards). This may help you troubleshoot what has gone wrong. If it does not give you any obvious error messages, you may have to look line by line at bin/notify and see if you can figure out why it is not adding your actual message data.

Sorry that is a lot of guesses and I can't answer as definitively this time (even though you did provide your version number etc : - )

Regards.

Martin