Re: [hylafax-users] faxstat problem on FC2?

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Arnold.Steve wrote:

> Howdy:
>
> The hylafax 4.2.0 package on Gentoo provides nothing in /etc except an env file and an init script.  Pam is enabled via a USE flag, and I haven't seen any pam issues whatsoever (only tiff issues).  There's no hylafax pam config, and pam.d/other has only:
>
> $ cat /etc/pam.d/other
> #%PAM-1.0
>
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>
> account    required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>
> password   required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>
> Hylafax access is typically controled by your /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts.hfaxd file.
>
> Also, a sig 11 is very often hardware-related (ie, bad RAM, insufficient cooling, etc), although in this case it doesn't seem like it.  Have you tried rebuilding the Hylafax and/or pam rpms?  The last Hylafax rpms I built were for RedHat AS 2.1 and cAos (but it was version 4.1.8), however, you should be able to rebuild the 4.2.0 src.rpm on FC2 as well.
>
> HTH, Steve

I have done the following so many times that my typing fingers are numb!!!

- removed all rpm versions of Hylafax
- compiled 4.1.8 and it works fine
- compiled 4.2.0 with/without pam support.  Actually, I've done this so
many times that I have two separate directories...one with and one without
pam support.  I just switch between directories and run make install.
- only the version without pam support will work.  This is using exactly
the same hosts.hfaxd file

With pam support enabled Hylafax receives faxes and sends emails out etc.
In other words, it works fine with the exception that I cannot logon to
the server to send faxes.  Any attempt to logon results in the connection
being immediately broken and a signal 11 generated.

Without pam support enabled there are no problems at all.  As I said, I'm
using the same hosts.hfaxd file for both.

My /etc/pam.d/other file is exactly the same as the one you posted.  I've
tried changing the lines to produce warning messages in the logs when I
login but that doesn't work at all.  It seems that pam is not talking to
hfaxd at all.

This is on Fedora Core 2.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer