Re: [hylafax-users] Does hylafax require exclusive access to the device

Am 2004.11.30 16:42 schrieb(en) Max Mothwurf:

> I think this _is_ the problem. > IMHO faxmodem tries to inform hylafax about an available modem but > hylafax is not ready (yet).

[...]

> The interesting part is what happens at system startup.

So then, I took the start for faxmodem out of the hylafaxscript and
set it separate into runlevels 3 & 5. From the boot.log:

Hello Max,

I assume SuSE's start script is OK and the programs will be started in the correct order.

From the boot.log:
[...]

This only shows that the processes are started correctly, but not what they are doing.

What messages from Hylafax processes do you get in syslog?

- hylafax can setup&configure the modem

When you restart Hylafax, it can definitely initialize the modem. It's not clear what happens at system startup because you did not show the log messages yet.

- it finds it during startup

I think hylafax finds a configuration entry or a FIFO.ttyS0 file which tells it there should be a modem.

- but it does not come ready.

One of the Hylafax server processes is waiting for a notification from faxmodem or faxgetty telling that the modem is initialized.

The error message
FIFO: open: No such device or address
shows that faxmodem cannot communicate with the other process. Maybe everything is OK with the modem, but faxmodem only can't tell this.

Or is the hylafax in SuSE 9.1 broken? before that it was running on
Suse 7.3 & 8.2 for ages....

Don't know. I use Debian.

Bodo