Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax Client - Server Port Range

support wrote on 25/11/04 09:51 PM:

Hi,

The hylafax client will use port 4559 to communicate fax server.

But when I try to trace the log file, I find that 4559 is only used for
handshaking only.

There should be a port range used in this client-server model.

Can anyone of you tell me what is the port range of hylafax client -
server communication?

Asking "what is the the port range" is not really an answerable question. You are repeating the same question without absorbing the answers people are giving you. Hylafax protocol, like ftp, uses TWO ports. The first one by default is 4559 and, is only "handshaking" as you put it. The second one is different every time and is taken from the full range of allowed ports (1024 to 64k).

It seems you keep asking this so you can set up some simple port forwarding through your firewall, but as several people have told you, that won't work because this second port number is different every time.

This information is very important for me to
implement a router that serve this fax service.

Evidently.

If you won't follow the other posters' advice about setting up a separate linux box as a router, I suggest you go back to the setup which you said worked (put the hylafax server directly on the external IP) and buy a second network card for it to pass other traffic on to the rest of your LAN. Of course you'll have to lock it down well, but, as my math teacher used to say, "if you can't solve a problem, try a simpler problem".