Re: [hylafax-users] Cover Page has jumbled text in fields

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:39:55 -0500, "Ryan Boyes" <rboyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>generating a cover page in Micro$oft Word, marking each of the fields with
>our company logo was rendered reasonably well, but the text in all the
>fields is a little jumbled, with some characters overlapping others, gaps in
>words, etc. Anyone else come across this?

What happened to me once was this:
- I put some spaces in the original doc after the labels
- I was using proportional fonts
- The generated postscript had some code to position each of the "space"
chars I used in its proper position (ie: space #1 at X, space #2 at X+n ...)
- When the actual data was substituted for the variables, the data was put
were the "spaces" were and got the char spacing built for the "spaces", this
produced very weird char positioning, similar to what you describe.

The solution was to hand edit the postscript and delete all the code related
to this char spacing so that the postscript interpreter would take care of
the spacing runtime using font metrics.

Note that I don't know much about postscript, all was done by trial and
error.

You could try emailing the piece of postscript (2 or 3 lines) where the
labels are and I'll see if it's something similar to what happened to me.

Also, you can try producing a coverpage by hand using faxcover, then load
the page in win ghostscirpt, start deleting weird stuff around the variable
data to see when the chars start behaving.

--
giulioo@xxxxxxxxx