[hylafax-users] Faxing From Samba

Hi all,

I used this tutorial to set up sambafaxing:

5.6 Faxing From Samba

It is possible to send a (Hyla)FAX by printing to a Samba-defined fax-printer using a Windows client. This is the recipe:

* Manual:
1. Make up your document (text, pictures, whatever) on a Windows (-alike) client.
2. ANYwhere in your text, specify the fax number you want to send the document to, i.e.:
Fax-Nr : 012-345-6789
3. Print, using a Postscript driver, to the printer on your HylaFAX server system.
4. As soon as the fax has been sent, you will be notified by email. If a failure occurs, an email will be sent to you too.

* Prerequisites:
1. We assume you have a "standard" *NIX and HylaFAX setup.
2. You have a standard Windows-like client i.e., 95, 98, ME, NT, or 2000. OS/2 will also work fine, as long as it supports drive sharing.
3. You use the Samba package to share system resources with the clients - and it is working fine already, meaning that you can log-on as a client.

* To setup do the following:
1. Put the following lines in /etc/printcap and delete (if applicable) any other faxprinters:

   faxlp:\
     :lp=/dev/null:\
     :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\
     :if=/var/spool/hylafax/bin/sambafax:\
     :sh:sf:mx#0:

Note: due to some UNIX history the directories /var/spool/ and /usr/spool/ contain the same information, so you use the one that is already present on your machine.

2. Store this script as /var/spool/hylafax/bin/sambafax, or in the /bin directory of your HylaFAX tree (but then adjust the path in printcap). Make sure the script is executable, using "chmod +x sambafax".

3. restart lpd and samba

4. On your client, install a new printer with a postscript driver (like an Apple Laserwriter) to print to \\YOURSERVER\faxlp

5. Create a fax using your favorite wordchewer and take up a line like:
Fax-Nr : 012-345-6789
and print to your new faxprinter.

But it don't work.
When I print from my Kde Client to the server's faxlp printer,
I can see in /var/spool/lpd that 2 new files will be generated.
But nothing else happens.
Now I had 2 questions:

1:
sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\
I don't have this directory, I use "/var/spool/lpd" instead.
Is that OK ?

2:
How can I debug where my problem is ?

Thanks for your help.