Re: [hylafax-users] problems accessing hosts.hfaxd [for the record]

Am 2004.10.27 12:53 schrieb(en) Wolfgang Pichler:

The problem is that with the debian standard installation the files in /etc/hylafax are getting copied (not symlinked - why?) to
/var/spool/hylafax/etc - so the file
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd really does not exists.
i've now created this directory and symlinked the hosts.hfaxd file into it - now its working.

Hello Wolfgang,

normally the startup script on Debian will copy everything from /etc/ hylafax/* to /var/spool/hylafax/etc/*. On my system I have /var/spool/ hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd. The Debian package includes a patch which changes some pathnames. That's why I think it's wrong if the program accesses a file in /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hylafax.
Maybe you compiled a program from original sources without the Debian patch applied?

The current version copies the files because hylafax will (or can) run in a chroot environment. It cannot access files outside /var/spool/ hylafax and a symlink in /var/spool/hylafax to a file in /etc will not work.
Debian policy requires all configuration files to be in /etc. The package can use symlinks in other directories to these files if the program requires a differnt location. According to the policy it's not allowed to place the real files in some other directory and symlinks in / etc.

Bodo