Re: [hylafax-users] problems accessing hosts.hfaxd [for the record]

hi all,

its time to answer my own question (yeah - i got it running)

daemon.log told me that hylafax couldn't read the
/etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd file - so hylafax couldn't authenticate. The
/etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd file existed and was readable (mode 600) by the
uucp user (hfaxd is running as uucp).
So i took a short look into the hfaxd/User.c++ file - there i found this
function:
bool
HylaFAXServer::checkUser(const char* name)
{
    bool check = false;
    FILE* db = fopen(fixPathname(userAccessFile), "r");
    if (db != NULL) {
        check = checkuser(db, name) || checkuser(name);
        fclose(db);
    } else
        logError("Unable to open the user access file %s: %s",
            (const char*) userAccessFile, strerror(errno));
    return (check);
}
which tries to open the user access file - but when it fails then it
creates the error message (which then appears in daemon.log) with the
wrong file path/name - so i changed the line:
-----------------
 logError("Unable to open the user access file %s: %s",
            (const char*) userAccessFile, strerror(errno));
-----------------
-----------------
 logError("Unable to open the user access file %s: %s",
            (const char*) fixPathname(userAccessFile), strerror(errno));
-----------------
and recompiled - restarted hfaxd.
Now i could see in the logs that hylafax was trying to access the file
"etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd" and not directly "/etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd".
The problem is that with the debian standard installation the files in
/etc/hylafax are getting copied (not symlinked - why?) to
/var/spool/hylafax/etc - so the file
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd really does not exists. i've
now created this directory and symlinked the hosts.hfaxd file into it -
now its working.

So, i think the debian package needs to get cleaned up that it will
work.

regards,
Wolfgang