Re: [hylafax-users] A4 Page Width On American Fax Machines

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:58:08 -0700
Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think that in the case of sizes between A4 and
> letter page widths Ghostscript uses 1728 pixels for all G3/G4 TIFF
> formats.  So in the case of the Ghostscript converters, even if you do
> specify "letter" size, it will format to A4 width anyway, when you use
> a fax TIFF format.

That is indeed corect.  I used ghostscipt to create TIFF files using
the following two sets of options:

-sDEVICE=tiffg3 -r204x196 -sPAPERSIZE=letter

-sDEVICE=tiffg3 -r204x196 -sPAPERSIZE=a4

Using tiffinfo, both files were 1728 pixels in width, which works
out to the A4 dimension of 215 mm.  (The length of the letter page
was 11 inches though, but since most machines receive unlimited
page length this is not important.)

This is not a major issue, but it does clear up a bit of confusion
that I was having.

Frank Peters