[hylafax-users] A4 Page Width On American Fax Machines

After examining the logs for the last 68 faxes sent, all in the US,
I find that the page width for the receiving fax machine is always
A4 size:

REMOTE max A4 page width

(except two of the 68 which indicate an A3 max page width)

Are most US machines manufactured with these metric specifications?

Since I always prepare TIFF files for submission to HylaFAX using
the American Letter size, which is wider than A4, would it be more
appropriate to use the A4 size instead?

Letter-size files produce no problems with these machines, and I imagine
that HylaFAX adjusts the width during the actual transmission by removing
a portion of each line.

Frank Peters