Re: [hylafax-users] Store Fax image in a database as BLOB (continued)

Am 2004.10.20 06:55 schrieb(en) Evgenios Charalambous:

What I want is to modify hylafax configuration so that the program
will save the images directly to mysql and not use the hard disk as an intermediate stage (this is needed for security purposes)

Hello Evgenios,

I think it is not possible with configuration changes only.
This would require major changes to the code.

Surely you could modify the program which receives the fax to write the TIFF file into a database instead of the file system, but there are other components which rely on having the fax as a file in a specific directory. All these have to be changed as well.

What is your security problem? What do you want to prevent from happening?

Maybe you can get enough protection by choosing the right owner, group and access mode for the files, so that only the administrator of the fax server can read the fax files.

I think if you would make all changes to make hylafax work with faxes stored in a database, the hylafax processes would need write and read access to the database. It would make it harder for the system's administrator to read the faxes but probably it would be possible anyway.

Bodo