[hylafax-users] faxgetty: MODEM TIMEOUT: reading line from modem

Hi List,

I am the happy owner of a Digiboard PC/8e ISA board and
a USRobotics Total Control multi-modem box. The two hardware
were running with WinNT 4.0, and I installed the Digi in
another machine, connect the 8 modems on Total Control to it
and installed SuSE 9.0 Professional.

Why SuSE 9.0 Professional? Because the Digi EPCA driver is
not compatible with SuSE 9.1 (kernel 2.6).

Then I get to the Digi download and get the 40001450_t.tar.gz
from there (epca-1.57). Everything went just like the INSTALL
file said.

I added the 8 modems to the system, using faxaddmodem. All of
them are using the same setup. Below you can see an extract
of the faxaddmodem dialog:

------------------------------BEGIN
This modem looks to have support for Class 1 and 2.0.
How should it be configured [1]?

Hmm, this looks like a Class 1 modem.
Product code (ATI0) is "3366".
Other information (ATI3) is "00:00:00".
DTE-DCE flow control scheme [default]? rtscts
Modem manufacturer is "USRobotics".
Modem model is "Courier".

Using prototype configuration file usr-rts...

The modem configuration parameters are:

ModemAnswerCmd:         AT+FCLASS=1&H1&I0&R2A
ModemFlowControl:       rtscts
ModemHardFlowCmd:       AT&H1&I0&R2
ModemMfrQueryCmd:       !USR
ModemModelQueryCmd:     ATI3
ModemNoFlowCmd:         AT&H0&I0&R1
ModemRate:              19200
ModemResultCodesCmd:    ATQ0X4
ModemRevQueryCmd:       ATI7
ModemSetupAACmd:        AT+FCLASS=0&H1&I0&R2
ModemSetupDCDCmd:       AT&C1
ModemSetupDTRCmd:       ATS13=1&D2
ModemSoftFlowCmd:       AT&H2&I2&R1
Class1NFLOCmd:          AT&H0&I0&R1
Class1HFLOCmd:          AT&H1&I0&R2
Class1SFLOCmd:          ""
------------------------------END

All of them seemed to be OK. So I got to the next step,
that is, configuring faxgetty to run in inittab (my server
is a receive-only one).

------------------------------BEGIN
# D0:235:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyD000
# D1:235:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyD001
D2:235:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyD002
# D3:235:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyD003
# D4:235:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyD004
# D5:235:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyD005
# D6:235:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyD006
# D7:235:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyD007
------------------------------END

And issued an "init q" command to get it running.
Then, I got the following messages on /var/log/messages.

------------------------------BEGIN
init: Re-reading inittab
FaxGetty[9775]: MODEM set DTR OFF
FaxGetty[9775]: DELAY 75 ms
FaxGetty[9775]: MODEM set DTR ON
FaxGetty[9775]: DELAY 2600 ms
FaxGetty[9775]: MODEM set baud rate: 19200 baud, input flow RTS/CTS, output flow RTS/CTS
FaxGetty[9775]: DELAY 10 ms
FaxGetty[9775]: MODEM flush i/o
FaxGetty[9775]: DELAY 3000 ms
FaxGetty[9775]: MODEM TIMEOUT: reading line from modem
------------------------------END

From the time the system re-reads inittab on, it keeps
messaging me with the FaxGetty messages above. Also,
when I load the epca module, it says on /var/log/message:

------------------------------BEGIN
kernel: epca: epca-1.57-1, Digi International Part Number 40001450_T
kernel: epca:   Acceleport Xe ISA I/O = 0x320, Mem = 0xd8000 Ports = 8
------------------------------END

What seems to mean, for me, that the driver and the board
are running as expected. One thing more, there is NO irq
assigned to the board, and I tested it with the DOS utility
ud-cisc.exe, and it passed all tests.

I really do not know what to do next, because I tryed to change
the DTE/DCE speed to 9600/115200, tryed to change from hardware
flow control to software flow control and nothing changed.

I did not get to the next step (sending a fax from a fax
machine to the SuSE computer) because I believe the messages
means the FaxGetty is not running as expected. May be I am wrong.

Can anyone on the list help me? Or directing me to a source of
information that can be useful for debugging it?

--
Bye,
Fernando Maciel Souto Maior

AVISO-------------------------------------------------------------
Esta mensagem pode conter informacao confidencial ou privilegiada.
Se voce nao for o destinatario ou a pessoa autorizada a receber
esta mensagem, nao pode usar, copiar ou divulgar as informacoes
nela contidas ou tomar qualquer acao baseada nessas informacoes.
Se voce recebeu esta mensagem por engano, favor avisar o remetente
imediatamente, respondendo o e-mail e em seguida apagando-o.
Obrigado pela cooperacao.

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based
on any information herein. If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by replying to this
e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.