Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax DB integration (postgresql) and/or API

On 2004.08.11 23:26 doktora v wrote:
Well maybe it's just me but I haven't found any scripts.

I think that Adam was referring to things like notify and faxrcvd which are shell scripts and can easily be modified. That said, I don't think that's what you are looking for, as it sounds like your ambitions are higher.

Anyway I tend
to dislike scripts (just personal), and I want to give my
application/database access to hylafax information.

So, I sifted through the source code and found some useful things.
Borrowing the faxstat code and FaxClient, I was able to make a class
which transforms the faxstatus information into XML format.

Now that's much more portable and useful, wouldn't you say?

Indeed.

Well it's still frustrating that faxstat only seems to get data in raw
text format via (tcp?) connection to the server. The lenght of fields
is restricted and gets cut off.

Feel free to make patches and hang them on Bugzilla for developer discussion.

But is there anything more direct (and perhaps more efficient) than
cat/grep'ing through the queues?

I don't understand what you're asking here.

How can I have fax information be pushed to an external entity outside
of hylafax (like my own DB)? For example, when fax status change, have
the states automatically chaned in the DB? faxwatch seems to be
working along those lines but you'd have to register a separate
function for each of the 30 or so possible events (using recvData
function).!?

Faxwatch probably isn't really what you're looking for, either. I tend to believe that faxwatch was made with debugging purposes in mind... or something similar.

Maybe I'm not getting it right, but source code documentation is
minimal (if present at all).

It was born that way. :-)

Hylafax is a great tool but using files as a db seems a bit archaic
and the natural thing to do for me is try to hook it to an RDBMS. This
may mean digging deep in the source code... at least that's how I see
it now.

Any more specific help would be appreciated, or just your share of
experience. Enlighten...

Well, it almost sounds like you're motivated enough to code this up for yourself, so I almost hesitate to tell you this because 1) I really, really don't want to appear to be endorsing or soliciting iFax, and 2) maybe if you coded this up yourself you'd share it with us, and then we'd all be able to help you improve it and you would get lots of kudos. So, maybe you'll run off spend some money based on this information, but anyway (for the sake of full-disclosure)...

I believe that iFax has done database integration in their version of HylaFAX. However, I don't think that they're sharing it freely.

Lee.