Re: [hylafax-users] OT: Hylafax & digital DID

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:20:21PM -0400, Joe Chasan wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:55:01PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:50:54PM -0400, Joe Chasan wrote:
> > > DID is not 2-wire analog - it is a dedicated rj-12 connector which i
> > > believe is different from the regular 2-wire analog - i want the modem
> > > to perform the DID functions, not the phone switch.
> >
> > DID is delivered one of two ways: on a specialized analog trunk,
> > suitable to be terminated by, e.g., a Dialogic DID-120 card (this is
> > fairly rare these days, and only seen on *old* legacy installs) or on a
> > D-4/ESF T-span (or an ISDN PRI).
> >
> > The signalling is commonly DTMF on the analog or T-1 trunks, between
> > the offer wink and the accept wink, and in a digital packet on the PRI.
> >
> > I believe you said yours were digital, but it's not sounding like that
> > now...
>
> no, its the mismatch between the analog DID device and the digital
> signal process coming in from the T-1.

Oh.

> the fax device is a multitech DID modem - they work with only a
> "analog DID trunk line which supports the inbound fax calls and a
> regular loop-start line for standard inbound/outbound fax transmission."

Got it now.  I'd be really surprised if anyone had this; I think your
modem is probably a relic.

> however, apparently this is not what DID through T-1 is, which is why
> i'm either looking for some sort of converter that is specific to and
> retains the DID info, or a different modem (and perhaps hylafax, as
> vsi does not support too many).

I'm going to be very surprised if *anything* will generate FXO side
analog DID except a central office (and not many of those anymore; it's
almost certainly an applique on new switches, rather than native line
cards).

I'm crossing this to the HylaFax list so Lee can see it, but do tell us
what your T-1 runs into, and maybe you can replace the modem with a
standard Multitech that just does CNID.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra@xxxxxxxxxxx

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi