Re: [hylafax-users] Problem with faxes with many pages

On 2004.08.02 09:52 Kris Henderson wrote:
When sending a fax that has 28+ pages in it to certain fax machines
(usually Ricoh or Cannon) HylaFAX is frequently getting disconnected.
Sometimes it happens after the 1st page and sometimes not until after
20
pages.  It seems more likely to happen when using Super G3 and MMR
compression, however I've also seen it happen using MR compression.  I
have not seen this when sending in V.17.  I can send the exact same
fax
to other fax machines Samsung, Sharp, and HylaFAX without any problems
using SuperG3 and MMR.

Has anyone run into this problem or have any ideas for a
solution/workaround?  Disabling Super G3 and MMR isn't really an
option.
HylaFAX usually receives a DCN in response to PPS, sometimes it just
receives EOT.  I'll see if I can get some log files showing these
errors
posted to the list later.

From experience I can tell you that Canon and Ricoh fax machines are among the most fussy receivers in the world. On more than one occassion I unsuccessfully attempted to contact someone at Canon to tell them that their fax machines did things in a not-so-great way.

By contrast I've almost never had difficulty getting HP or Samsung receivers to cooperate.

Aug 03 13:17:22.12: [ 4227]: Control channel selected
Aug 03 13:17:22.12: [ 4227]: <-- HDLC<7:FF C8 FD F2 80 C0 30>
Aug 03 13:17:22.12: [ 4227]: <-- data [7]
Aug 03 13:17:22.12: [ 4227]: <-- data [2]
Aug 03 13:17:22.12: [ 4227]: SEND send PPS (partial page signal)
Aug 03 13:17:22.12: [ 4227]: SEND send MPS (more pages, same document)
Aug 03 13:17:22.48: [ 4227]: --> HDLC<5:FF C8 5F C8 E7>
Aug 03 13:17:22.48: [ 4227]: SEND recv DCN (disconnect)

Well, pretty much you just have to start guessing as to what the problem could be and making adjustments accordingly and test.

In essence you sent a page of data, then send a post page signal, and the receiver then tells you to that it's disconnecting. The only difference between this and the "got EOT" error is that in the DCN case the receiver announces that it's disconnecting, and in EOT case the receiver just hung up (although in this case you may not know exactly *when* it happened because the EOT may be in the modem's receive buffer).

So you start thinking about why a receiver would do such a thing. Things that come immediately to my mind are: noise, V.34 protocol peculiarites in the implementations, modulator problems, and TIFF encoding problems.

You're essentially dealing with the same possibilities as "no response to PPS", and there are lots of them.

Lee.