Re: [hylafax-users] Linux, 2.6, PCI Modems, And Weirdness

* Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [040729 11:24]:

> Under recent 2.6 Linux kernels I've found myself with this same kind of
> problem with the kernel serial driver doing "weird" things when
> "autodetecting" PCI serial ports at boot-time when it is compiled-in to
> the kernel.  It does weird things with some cards, and it does even
> weirder things with winmodems.  Thus with the 2.6 kernels I have had to
> build the serial driver as a module and then to 'modprobe 8250' in
> /etc/rc.serial and use setserial to configure each of the PCI serial
> ports.  It's a pain when in the 2.4 kernels, by comparison, I didn't
> have to do anything other than compile-in the serial driver into kernel.
>
> I haven't taken the time to report these problems to Theodore Ts'o
> (Ted), who I think still maintains the Linux serial driver.  You may
> want to do that.

The proper solution for this problem is to use hotplug and udev.  That
is how the 2.6 kernel has been designed...

This hurts when you want to use a 2.6 linux kernel as a drop-in
replacement for a 2.4 linux kernel (because it's not).

a.