[hylafax-users] Linux, 2.6, PCI Modems, And Weirdness

This is not super-critical, as things seem to be working okay, I think.
However, it is disconcerting, and I need to resolve it soonish (even if
resolution is to say that everything is okay).

I've been running HylaFAX 4.1.8 for about 7 months now, and thoroughly
enjoy the convenience of it all. It works splendidly.

Yesterday, I began some work on the hylafax server to also make it a
firewall for our company. Now, is this the best idea, from a security
standpoint? Probably not. Still, it's what is being done for reasons
that won't make a lot of sense if you're not here in this building, so
I'll drop it there.

I found myself having to upgrade from Linux kernel 2.4.18 to 2.6.6 due
to a hardware conflict locking up the machine. Now, here's what I have,
hardware wise:

4 US Robotics 5610 PCI FaxModems
2 3Com Etherlink XL PCI network cards
1 VIA Rhine onboard network driver (on motherboard)

The modems are the real issue. Under kernel 2.4.18, they were designated
as ttyS4, ttyS5, ttyS6, and ttyS7. Now, under 2.6.6, they are designated
as ttyS14, ttyS15, ttyS44, and ttyS45.

HylaFAX didn't like those ports too much, so I did symlinks, and got
things working (i.e.: ttyS4 points to ttyS14, etc). Now, though, my
output from faxstat looks like this:

HylaFAX scheduler on divs06.divd01: Running
Modem ttyS6 (): Running and idle
Modem ttyS15 (): Waiting for modem to come free
Modem ttyS7 (): Running and idle
Modem ttyS44 (): Waiting for modem to come free
Modem ttyS45 (): Waiting for modem to come free
Modem ttyS14 (): Waiting for modem to come free
Modem ttyS5 (): Running and idle
Modem ttyS4 (): Running and idle

Where it used to look like this:

HylaFAX scheduler on divs06.divd01: Running
Modem ttyS4 (): Running and idle
Modem ttyS5 (): Running and idle
Modem ttyS6 (): Running and idle
Modem ttyS7 (): Running and idle

So, my question is thus: How do I make HylaFAX see just my correct four
modems, and not the bogus serial ports? I believe this was the cause of
one fax failure last night, and wish to prevent more of the same
occurring.
--
Michael J. Pedersen
My IM IDs: Jabber/pedersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ICQ/103345809, AIM/pedermj022171