Re: [hylafax-users] Fw: use fax machine as scanner

This seems to be a fairly basic need: at some point someone will sign
something and need to fax it.

Interestingly, I'm having a conversation with a client today about this.
We're going to my main job's office to see their copier.  Its a Gestetner
(sp?) 7502 which seems to be a Ricoh under the covers.  My company leases
it.

It has the ability to scan documents and email them as PDFs.  It can also
do basic doc mgt stuff with the things you copy (keeping them for later
printing).  I'm not a huge fan of this particular machine (there are weird
limitations like not being able to email and copy in one pass!), but my
customer and I are discussing the idea, not the hardware.

Basically, the idea here will be to let his users go to the copier, put in
the docs, and then enter either their email address (they can forward/fax
the PDF later), a faxnumber ("1234567890@fax"), another email address (for
example a carrier -- its insurance) or a customer number ("c123423@file"
or "c123423@fax" or "c123423@email").

The customer number ones are the most useful: they would store the file in
a database we have (they have to attach them manually today), and then
send the document via one of the methods above (or just store it in the
case of @file).

I think its the solution to his particular problems: but we'll see after
our talk.  It would also reduce his outbound faxing costs by about 1/2
since all the big faxes he sends to carriers could go out over email.

Just a thought.
Bill