Re: [hylafax-users] automatic fax detection (outbound)

--- Peter Verhoeven <Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks - I'll read the documentation. On a related
> note is there an accepted
> standard number of rings before answer one could
> expect from a fax machine?
> i.e. so I can hang up if the call is not answered
> after X rings. I know this
> won't always be accurate, but what is the general
> rule for this?

You're talking about a "perfect" world" :-). There's
no such thing, people configure the fax machines in
very different ways. One set answer after 5 rings
because thiks the other side will be pleased knowing
he is answering, other 7 rings because uses the same
line for voice calls and don't want to be disturbed
with the fax answering (they simple don't know that
alot of machines has a function to cancel the fax
answer), other just one because don't want miss any
call...
Elas, you simple don't have a standard but, I must say
that waiting for a maximum of 7 rings (I know it's
odd), will fit all "standards" ;-)