Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax client for software for windows.

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 07:32:51PM -0400, Darren Nickerson wrote:
> > Is there any other software available with print to fax, dynamic cover
> > page and address book feature.
> HylaFSP will do all that. It's more expensive than winprinthylafax though
> ;-)
> Note that HylaFSP is only for Win2000 and XP only, because it plugs into
> Microsoft's 'fax services' in those operating systems.

Lee (or whomever maintains these lists), might I suggest adding
something like what I've placed here into the welcome message for this
list? I've got to have seen this question at least 5 times in the past
month, which means that the web faq isn't being read. Maybe it would be
read in the welcome message if placed there prominently enough?
-----
Short review of the three best I've found so far, with the drawbacks of
each.

1) WHFC
	Pros: Free Software, as in you can hack the source if so desired.
		Decent package, flat text file phone books which can be shared.
		Overall worth using.
	Cons: MUST be started BEFORE attempting to print to the faxing
		printer. Does an adequate job in a predominantly send environment.
		Interface is somewhat quirky at times, and using it view
		received faxes is a miserable experience.
	Availability: http://www.uli-eckhardt.de/whfc/
2) HylaFSP (NOTE: reviewed for a very short time by me)
	Pros: Hooks right into Windows faxing. Makes it very simple, very
		straightforward to manage addressbooks, send queues, and the
		like. Well worth investigating, especially in a heavy sending
		environment.
	Cons: ZERO receive functionality. None, nada, zilch. My connection
		to the fax server, for the send tests I was doing, seemed
		somewhat flaky on occasion. I don't know if it was my setup of
		HylaFSP though, that was causing that.
	Availability: http://www.ifax.com/HylaFSP/
3) Cypheus
	Pros: Very much looks and acts like WinFax. Good in both send and
		receive, with caveats listed in Cons (below). Fairly
		straightforward interface.
	Cons: You simply MUST get the beta of this program if you are
		wishing to work with a high volume of received faxes. After
		about 100, the startup time becomes abysmally slow on all
		machines otherwise.
	Availability: http://www.cypheus.de/

--
Michael J. Pedersen