Re: [hylafax-users] Bad Pages Received

On May 12, 2004, at 10:17 AM, Pedro Rocadas wrote:

--- Anthony Diak <anthonyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
3.5.7 or according to Slackware website
"libtiff-3.5.7-i386-3" thats on
the 9.1 machine, and on the 8.1 machine (which
worked fine for a couple
years, then started doing this recently ) is 3.5.7
but the package is
"libtiff-3.5.7-i386-2"

Searching the mailling list for blank pages, for both sending and receiveing the issue is usually due to libtiff, 3.6.1 release, actually. Seems not be the case.

its not really blank pages that are coming out, its a page that is about 1/2 correct, and then the rest of the page is blurry beyond recognition or the page just goes blank after a little bit of blurriness.

Also, if you didn't notice from the logs that I'm running 4.1.8, I am. Do you think that the 4.2 beta would solve this problem at all? I'm about to give it a try if you guys think so... How dependable is the 4.2 beta? Any major problems found so far?

If 4.1.8 worked for you for so long, I think the issue is not there, but 4.2.0x has alot of improvments, and one should upgrade because of that, not because you suddenly started haing problems.

Also, I tried something. I noticed that the initial transfer failed at 1400 and the retrain took it down to 9600 and it worked, so i did a -B 9600 to force it to send at 9600, which failed and it retrained to go to 7200, so I think there is something else going on possibly.

-Anthony Diak...

I'm not the best person to assit you in communications (Hi Jay :-) ) but are you having some kind of hardware problems? Serial ports damaged, problematic modems...? I'm asking you this since you told us that the telephone company assured you that the lines are fine (do you trust in their tests?)

I setup a whole new machine with the new modems (the old one is still up to send out faxes -- even if they are sending bad pages every so often), and all the equipment is brand new, and I'm getting the same errors as the old machine. I dunno if I trust the phone company, but they've come out a few times now and they said they test it every time and its fine.

--- Anthony Diak <anthonyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all.  I'm running into quite a bit of a
problem.  Our company has
been using a hylafax setup to much success in the
past, and then we
moved to our new building.

As you say, 4.1.8 worked well.

As soon as we did,
some
of our customers
complained about receiving "half page faxes" and
so
forth.  We did some
testing and were able to reproduce the problem.

The problem is that it will fax a page, and it
will
only receive maybe
half of it, and the rest is all messed up.
Hylafax
will then correctly
resubmit the page and then it is received
correctly.
 This has never
happened before so frequently for our server.  It
seems that it happens
almost every fax now.  We had the phone company
come
out and give us
POTs lines which did not solve the problem.  The
phone company claims
that the lines aren't too noisy.

We decided that it could be our modems, as we
were
using any old modem
that we found laying around when we setup the
original server, so we
went out and got some Multi-Tech MT2834DX modems,
and setup a new
updated server running Slackware 9.1 (the old one
was running 8.1).

So, you are saying that you bought different modems and the problem persists. Can you test with fax machines?

Yes, we bought new modems and the problem still persists. The fax machine I've tested to is what I've always tested to, but I did try to test to some other fax machines in the building and it still had the same problem, so its not the machine, also looking at the logs, all the machines that have the problem are different (not just 1 brand).