Re: [hylafax-users] supported multi modem cards

On 2004.04.20 10:03 joe ritter wrote:
Hello,
We are looking at putting a fax server into
production. We currently have an Intel Dialogic
JCT120LS in our Linux box. This appears to have poor
documentation and dated drivers. We are getting ready
to chuck it.

Chuck it in my direction. Seriously, I'd love to see what I can do to squeeze the most out of it, despite any firmware flaws it may have.

I wanted to see if this board was even
supported by HylaFax.

I cannot tell from the tech-sheet,
http://www.intel.com/network/csp/products/6046ts.htm
how the DTE (HylaFAX) interacts with it (i.e., what is "SpringWare Firmware"?). Does minicom or cu work with it? If so, what does it respond to the "AT+FCLASS=?" command?

If not we were considering the
following vendors and so I wanted to find out what
multi modem cards others were using and if they could
recommend one.

Equinox SST Multi-modem. PCI, 56k, 4 or 8 ports http://www.equinox.com/product/multi-modem.htm

It worked well when I tested one (Class 1 or Class 2). Seemed expensive compared to Comtrol RocketModems at the time, and the marketing material was originally flawed (incorrectly stated V.34-Fax support).

MultiModemISI by Multi-Tech Systems. 56k or 33.6k,
PCI, 4 or 8 ports. ISDN/56k hybrids.
http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/MultiModemISI/

Yes, good equipment. The true Class 1.0 and Class 2.1 support (in addition to 1, 2, and 2.0) is nice. MultiTech actively supports their stuff for fax applications, too.

PCI-RAS cards by Perle. 56k, 4 or 8 ports.
http://www.perle.com/solutions/app_notes/multi_modem/pci_ras_fax.html

I know nothing about these.

RocketModem by Comtrol. ISA 33.6k, 4 or 8 port.
http://www.comtrol.com/sales/specs/rm.htm
RocketModem II by Comtrol. PCI 56k, 4 or 6 port
http://www.comtrol.com/sales/specs/rmii.htm

Both the RocketModem and RocketModem II are good, and you can pick them up cheap (used, patiently on eBay). I'm having problems with the RocketModem III, though.

Lee.