Re: [hylafax-users] Brooktrout or Eicon

> We currently use the Eicon Diva Server 24 port ISDN/T1 card and it is
> working well with hylafax and inbound DID-based routing.  One thing I do
> not like is the need to recompile the kernel driver everytime a new
> errata kernel comes along (security fixes, etc).  We only have one card
> and the downtime the kernel compilation and testing creates (not having
> another card to run on while this one is down) is prohibitive at worst
> and annoying at best.

When we do this for our customers, we only schedule 5 minutes of downtime
and that includes the reboot cycle. You can install the new kernel, kernel
source, recompile and configure the Eicon drivers all without interrupting
service. One quick reboot later, and you're done.

If you can tolerate rebooting to load a new kernel, the additional burden of
managing the Eicon side of things should not be too oppressive. Obviously
this is best done outside of office hours, since anything as fundamental as
a kernel upgrade may have unintended consequences ...

> I noticed that Brooktrout comes well recommended.  What is the kernel
> driver situation with their new boards?  Does one have to recompile the
> driver for the board each time the kernel is upgraded as well?

We're pretty quick to support new kernels, but you'd need to get an update
from us.

> Who is the maintainer of the driver; Brooktrout, ifax?

That's a surprisingly complicated answer. Brooktrout distribute an SDK that
allows application developers to add support for their boards to any
application. The SDK includes kernel module drivers that must be distributed
with the application. You need the driver, and the application ... we
distribute both but Brooktrout is strictly the driver maintainer, while
we're the application maintainer. Make sense?

> How is Brooktrout's pricing as compared to Eicon's?  As I recall the
> Eicon card runs US$4,000 to US$6,000.  Am I off on that?
>
> In general what is recommended as the better solution; eicon or
> brooktrout for enterprise-class faxing with hylafax?

I don't think it's appropriate for us to comment on those things on this
list. Give us a call sometime if you like ;-)

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer