Re: [hylafax-users] Installing PCI cards for extra modems

Tony S. Sykes wrote:

Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I seem to have somehow managed to work with my original modem in some strange way, as dmesg comes up with nothing for tty. Even though the server has been running for nearly 2 years. As for the lspci it shows the 2 cards I have put in.

01:0b.0 Communication controller: NetMos Technology 222N-2 I/O Card (2S+1P) (rev 01)
       Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic: Unknown device 0012
       Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
       I/O ports at cf90 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cf68 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cf60 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cf58 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cf50 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cf40 [size=16]

01:0c.0 Communication controller: NetMos Technology 222N-2 I/O Card (2S+1P) (rev 01)
       Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic: Unknown device 0012
       Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
       I/O ports at cff0 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cfe0 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cfa8 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cfa0 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cf98 [size=8]
       I/O ports at cf80 [size=16]

So with this info I assume I just follow this bit;
"If you're not using devfs then you'll need to create /dev/ttyS4 with makedev `cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV ttyS4`. You then want to chown/chmod ttyS4 to the correct permissions, I use uucp/600. Then you can use `cu -l /dev/ttyS4` to test the modem."

How do I know which port to use out of the 6?

Well you'd compare the ports to the output of dmesg, if you had any :-)

If you look back at my example dmesg said "ttyS04 at port 0x6800" so I know the card using port 0x6800 is at ttyS04, so for MAKEDEV I use ttyS4. Since you don't have any mention of tty in dmesg, it means your kernel isn't seeing the cards. A quick google finds me this page (http://winterwolf.co.uk/pciio) saying you'll need to patch your kernel for the cards to be supported under linux. You can first try upgrading to the newest kernel in Mandrake (maybe they already have it patched), and ensuring parport_serial is loaded ($modprobe parport_serial; then check dmesg), otherwise you'll need to patch which is beyond what this list can help you with. I would suggest the Mandrake forums.

--
Steven Kurylo