Re: [hylafax-users] Installing PCI cards for extra modems

hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Does anybody have any good links for doing this in the simplest way. I know basic Linux, but need to hit the ground running with these cards. I have installed them into the box and lspci see's them but there are no tty's in /dev. I understand that I need to create the tty's and set them up with information which I think I have got using a few other commands. I just need a good how-to to hold my hand through it.
p.s. Mandrake 9.1 if that helps.

I thought Mandrake used devfs in 9.1, so the nodes should be create for you; they just wouldn't be called ttyS[0-9], they would be tts/[0-9].

First you need to find out where the modems are
$dmesg |grep tty
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS04 at port 0x6800 (irq = 9) is a 16550A

This shows my fax server, the first is the onboard serial port, the second is my modem. If you do
$lspci -v
[..snip..]
00:0a.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics Venus Modem (V90, 56KFlex)
Subsystem: Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device 5656
Memory at e8001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
I/O ports at 6800 [size=256]
[..snip..]

You'll notice the 6800 in common. Now if I had devfs I'd find my modem at /dev/tts/4 (see thettyS04). You would want to create a symlink between /dev/ttyS4 and /dev/tts/4, hylafax doesn't like subdirectories in dev. If you're not using devfs then you'll need to create /dev/ttyS4 with makedev `cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV ttyS4`. You then want to chown/chmod ttyS4 to the correct permissions, I use uucp/600. Then you can use `cu -l /dev/ttyS4` to test the modem.

--
Steven Kurylo