Re: [hylafax-users] Going through recent archives....

> Yes.  See: http://www.hylafax.org/cvs.html
>
> Let me add a word of caution, however... CVS is a development branch.
> Hopefully you find no problems, but you just may so don't count on it
> for uninterruptible production support until you've thoroughly tested
> it.

I understand the usual caveats with CVS code.  I'm no open source newbie. :)

> The CVS version offers extended resolution support for Class 2 modems
> that support it (like the MT5634s).

"Extended resolution support"?

> Other than that HylaFAX 4.1.6

Isn't 4.1.7 the current release version? :)

> It depends on what you're faxing goals are.

In this order:

1) Getting the document delivered.
2) Getting the document delivered legibly.
3) Getting the document delivered quickly.

If I have to sacrifice 1) to get 2) or 3), I guess I lose 2) and 3).

This is used in a limited-audience High Finance application.

Ideally, I'd like to make use of all of the available features that can be
used on a connection-by-connection basis (2-DMMR, ECM, Super G3, etc), but
not sacrifice being able to get the documents delivered to skanky old bank
fax machines in countries where the telcos are powered by hamsters running
in cages with equipment that was obsolete in the 1950s.

> ITU T.30, T.31, T.32, T.4, and T.6 are adequate reading ;-)
>
> The ITU should give you 3 for free per year.

One last question... do the Class 1 enhancements in the CVS branch benefit
receive-mode operations?

I'm intrigued by the 2DMMR and other support for my receive-only home
faxserver which is a Diamond/SupraExpress 56k/V.90 faxmodem running in Class
1... (I also have that USR Sportster X2 [not sure I can still get it
upgraded to V.90 anymore] now that my production servers have the Multi-tech.)

Thanks for all of your input, Lee.

=R=