Re: [hylafax-users] Going through recent archives....

On 2003.10.11 04:45 An Intrepid HylaFax User wrote:
I noted Lee Howard (the HylaHero) posted the following snippet
recently:

However, HylaFAX CVS plus some developmental enhancements will, in
Class 1,
support:

Sep 16 16:20:21.92: [ 2021]: REMOTE best rate 14400 bit/s
Sep 16 16:20:21.92: [ 2021]: REMOTE max A3 page width (303 mm)
Sep 16 16:20:21.92: [ 2021]: REMOTE max unlimited page length
Sep 16 16:20:21.92: [ 2021]: REMOTE best vres R16 x 15.4 line/mm
Sep 16 16:20:21.92: [ 2021]: REMOTE best format 2-D MMR
Sep 16 16:20:21.92: [ 2021]: REMOTE supports T.30 Annex A, ECM
Sep 16 16:20:21.92: [ 2021]: REMOTE best 0 ms/scanline

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Is this functionality available in a public read-only CVS archive?

Yes. See: http://www.hylafax.org/cvs.html

Let me add a word of caution, however... CVS is a development branch. Hopefully you find no problems, but you just may so don't count on it for uninterruptible production support until you've thoroughly tested it.
understand the "CVS" part of your message, but what are "plus some
developmental enhancements"?  Unchecked-in code?

It's all been checked-in now... plus some.

Also... does the CVS version offer anything for the Multi-tech Class
2.1
operation?

The CVS version offers extended resolution support for Class 2 modems that support it (like the MT5634s). Other than that HylaFAX 4.1.6 already supports all of the MT5634's features with the exception of color faxing (which HylaFAX doesn't support at all).

I've only tested my new Multi-tech ZBA seven or eight times (running
as
Class 2.1), but already I can see remarkable transmission time
reductions
[probably owing to 2-D MMR, higher connect rates, and quicker
transaction
throughputs] compared to running my USR Sportster in Class 1.

I'll know it's really cut the mustard when the skanky fax machines in
China
and Japan receive faxes from the machine without redialling (or
failing
altogether).

Is ECM a win for such destinations, assuming their equipment even
supports
it, or am I better off w/o ECM for them?

It depends on what you're faxing goals are. ECM is a must if you want perfect document delivery... or even legible document delivery on very noisy lines.

By the way, I'm tired of feeling like the kid who isn't tall enough to
see
over the bars to read the sign.  Is any of this documentation
accurately and
concisely, and available for sums of money less than several hundred
dollars
for crummy 5th generation blurry photocopies?  I've written and
debugged
SCSI firmware, device drivers, and implemented hard-realtime embedded
projects consisting of 100,000+ lines of assembly language.  I can
handle
this nonsense, but the "hard data" doesn't seem available anywhere.
(Classic ITU B.S.)

ITU T.30, T.31, T.32, T.4, and T.6 are adequate reading ;-)

The ITU should give you 3 for free per year.

Lee.