Re: [hylafax-users] Problem with sending attached file via e-mail in HylaFax?

Lee Howard wrote:

On 2003.10.10 11:02 masa_58d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Would you like to describe me *many* better ways to do it?

Write a faxmail drop-in replacement. It's very easy to do...

One way: basically a shell script accepting STDIN to parse the mail and hand it off to sendfax.

You can do that in as many different ways as you like to achieve *many*.

Lee.

I think what Lee means is that since HylaFAX only accepts text and postscript, you cannot do what you want without doing some shell programming. You would have to replace faxmail with a script that accepts html and jpeg, and outputs postscript so HylaFAX will still get it in the format that it accepts. This is probably still too terse to be much use to you, but you can't expect me (or Lee) to deliver you a fully functioning solution on a platter. You will have to do a fair bit of reading man pages, learning about the different stages of getting a fax sent, and the opportunities in each stage for adding customizations such as what you need.

It may be easier to just put the restriction on your users that they have to get it into postscript format for themselves before sending it to HylaFAX.

By the way, Lee...

Since this is hylafax-USERS, I don't think it is fair to say that there is "a way", or "many ways", or "an easy way" to do it. In my opinion, your first answer was more accurate: HylaFAX does not accept html or jpeg as input, so there is no way (for a user) to do it.

When your answer involves programming (albeit shell programming) you can not call it easy unless you know that everyone in your audience is a programmer.

Martin