Re: [hylafax-users] *ARGH* The woes of faxing.

On 2003.10.08 13:50 An Intrepid HylaFax User wrote:
I've been in the unfortunate position of having to setup an outbound
facsimile service that's driven by a web/db backend.  Woe is me.

I've started with a USR Sportster X2 modem.  First started in Class
2.0,
more woe.  It works when sending to my inbound faxmodem at home, which
is a
Diamond/SupraExpress, 56K running in Class 1.

But it has issues sending faxes overseas to Brother fax equipment, it
fails
one or two times out of three - faxes usually get through, but only
after
retrying.

I kicked it down a notch to Class 1 operation,

Switching to "Class 1" is not typically "down a notch" at all. It's more of a language change. Think of it as talking French to a modem instead of talking German. Now, if you'd like to claim that speaking French is down a notch from speaking German, well then you'll upset some Franks. ;-)

things seemed to
improve, but
there are still problems.  On one fax attempt to Japan, it failed
during a
protocol exchange *three times*.  *SIGH*

The modem's configured with a stock RTS/CTS 19.2Kbaud Class1 script.

"Stock" USR configs use XON/XOFF (software) flow control. Rumor had it that RTS/CTS flow control was broken on USRs. I've never had consistently regular problems with USRs with XON/XOFF in Class 1. (Although plenty of occasional irregular ones, but this doesn't generally render the modem unreliable.)

Lee.