Re: [hylafax-users] FW: AS400 FAXING

--- Michael Alexander <hylafax@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> You could also look into going PDF instead of tiff
> on the AS400 then on
> hylafax could do the pdf to tiff/fax conversion.
> PDF on the AS400 is pretty easy once you get the
> right tools, there are afew
> out there.

Yes, there are tools for tiff, ps or pdf. Some are
included in the OS others can be found "free" for
download. But the problem is in how to extract the fax
number. If you have the file ready to fax the best and
elegant way, as I mentioned before, is using a client
and the only that I believe that could work right now
is the java client gnu-hylafax. I do some tests with
it but I stopped with them because my boss wanted the
fax server working for yesterday :-).

>  I forget which we use, but it will
> convert a spoolfile to a PDF
> document that we can then have e-mailed.  The PDF
> would allow you to pull
> out information from it still since it is just
> specially formatted text, you
> could likely pretty easily do that with awk or
> something like that,

The regexp for a postscript or a pdf file are more
complex than deploying one for plain text ;-).

> ftp the
> pdf to the linux machine (or from the AS400) to find
> your documents to fax
> and then process them.

HylaFAX protocol works similar to ftp and you can
programm the AS/400 to use the ftp package included in
the OS but I made some tests with it too and guess
what, I quit :-).

> We aren't doing that though so I couldn't help too
> much with that, we
> started to research it, but then purchased an AS400
> fax/e-mail solution
> (FastFax).

Wasted money.

>  Personally I think it is pretty junky,
> the faxes are very low
> res, and the e-mails are just the low res fax image
> file converted to a pdf
> and e-mailed, so it is even poorer quality.

The good thing of printing the text to the linux box
like I did/do, is that you use enscript to generate
the final file to be sent. This tool is very powerfull
and your control over the quality is high. And you
solve the problem of poor quality in the emails
because the document you just sent has good qaulity
and the attach is in PDF too (I started using PS but
after sending a fax that failled 2-3 times the quality
was very bad).

>  But we
> needed a way to process
> the Formsprint output to fax and e-mail and it does
> do the job, I know we
> could have figured it out, but they wanted it rather
> quickly.

I have this thing working more than year, you never
read the howto?