Re: [hylafax-users] hfaxd dieing randomly

> >If the former, can you connect to the parent hfaxd process with gdb? You
> >should be able to learn a lot when it exits, especially if you run a
>
> Problem is that when this happens there isn't any hfaxd process anymore
("ps
> ax | grep fax" only shows faxq), so that even if hfaxd was not stripped
> there wouldn't be anything to attach to.

That's why you attach to it while it's running, or better yet, start hfaxd
from gdb.

> This is on a remote system, it's the only case in which I experienced this
> problem; the only weird thing that I see is that it's very low on memory
> (32MB),  always swapping.

Check dmesg and syslog to see if the kernel is running out of memory and
harvesting processes.

> The system will be replaced soon, so that we'll see if this was related.

It would be nice to learn as much about this as possible before you replace
the system - suggestions that hfaxd might be exiting prematurely should be
taken very seriously indeed. HylaFAX's daemons are supposed to run forever!!
;-)

-Darren