[hylafax-users] Weird tiffcp conversion failure problem

I've got a HylaFAX 4.1.7 server here, using a Multitech
MT5634ZBA-V92-USB modem, which is a Class 2.1 FAX modem. Incoming
FAXes work great, are emailed to the appropriate user and the user is
happy :-)

In an attempt to get outgoing FAXing working, I installed the 0.4
version of the HylaFAX FAX Service Provider for Windows on a Windows
2000 machine. Once I got the authentication stuff in hosts.hfaxd
straightened out, I was able to get FAXes into the queue for sending.

However, I ran into two problems, somewhat related in that if the
first problem is solved the second will go away as well:

1) HylaFAX wants to convert the outbound FAX using tiffcp because it
thinks "the destination doesn't support 2D MMR". However, we receive
FAXes in 2D MMR with this modem all the time, why can't we give it 2D
MMR for sending?

2) The tiffcp conversion fails with an error code of 9. I did a quick
search of the archive for this problem, found only one other mention
of it and no solution was posted... I'm using tiffcp from
libtiff-v.3.5.7. If I run the tiffcp command manually the only message
I get is warning about an unknown tag, but according to the archives
this warning is ignored (-i argument to tiffcp) so shouldn't be the
cause of a non-zero result code. When run manually, tiffcp does
successfully create the new format TIFF, it just returns a non-zero
result code.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
for your time.