Re: [hylafax-users] Blocking calls based on DNIS/DID

On 2003.08.08 01:41 mazi farhang wrote:

> My questions are:
> 1- Is there any limitation (other than PCI slots)
> the number of Eicon boards that could be used in
> single box?

HylaFAX doesn't limit it.  I don't know if the Eicon driver has a limit.

> 2- Is there a compelling business case to use
> BrookTrout cards when multiple T1s are to be
> terminated?
> 3-  Are other cards supported - such as Intel
> Dialogic, or NMS?  Are linux drivers for these
> other
> cards all that is required - I would imagine that
> they
> would have to have been written to a particular
> API
> that Hylafax supports?

Any hardware is supported *if* the driver allows HylaFAX to interface
with it with standard T.31/T.32 AT-commands.  Eicons are well-supported
because of the fact that their tty driver presents HylaFAX with such an
interface.  There are other drivers for ISDN/T1 cards, some of them use
ISDN4Linux and such, but those drivers replace HylaFAX's faxgetty and
faxsend rather than allowing HylaFAX to interface with them natively.

> 4- Assuming an appropriate hardware
> configuration, is
> there a way in Hylafax to look at the DNIS or DID
> of
> an incoming call and to decide whether to answer
> it or
> not?

Yes.  HylaFAX's faxgetty will not answer incoming calls when the
DID/DNIS matches a "blocked" configuration.

> The issue is that if a certain user has too
> many
> stored faxes, then it should be disabled from
> receiving new ones before it has cleaned out old
> faxes.  Also, we don't want to be incurring 800
> number
> charges and actually receiving the fax, only to
> dump
> it after determining it belongs to a user that is
> over
> the limit.  We therefore want to look at the
> dialed
> number and not answer (or even maybe return a
> busy
> signal) when the user has no space left.

HylaFAX by default will not answer the call.  If it is possible to send
an AT-command to a digital modem to make the caller get a busy signal
then that could be done, but it would be a code-customization.

> Again, from the documentation, it would seem that
> one
> would have to somehow intercept a call before
> faxgetty
> manages to pick it up.

FaxGetty is intelligent like this and won't pick it up.

> If I need to do actual
> coding
> for this, I would appreciate some indication as
> where to look.

If you're anticipating on doing or able to do coding then you'll want
to make sure that you have source code access to whatever product you
end up using.
  Lee.