Re: [hylafax-users] Ideal Hylafax System

Ashley Shaw said:
> Hallo there Everyone
>
> I am relatively new to the Hylafax package and I am on a quest to find the
> perfect hardware and software platform to complement the package. I am
> currently working with an old Pentium III 450Mhz with 256Mb RAM and a 2Gb
> hard drive. I have installed Debian Woody on the Box and setup the Hylafax
> 4.1.7. The modem that I am using is a class 1 category. This seems to be
> just fine for my testing purposes!
>
> - What I would really like to know is what sort of system should
> I build for a 100 hundred user environment?

As far as your hardware goes, your fine. My box is a 200 Pentium Pro with I
believe 96MB. If you want to do a lot of archiving, you may need more disk.
I don't do any archiving personally. How do you know if you need to archive?
If your users are yelling that they want faxes from two weeks ago, then you
need to archive :)

> - Is Debian Woody suitable (probably just fine)?

I use Red Hat, but I believe there are a lot of people happy wth their
Degian boxes.

> - If I setup a base install of linux with just essentials, what packages
would be considered as essential?

I believe ghostscript, the ghostscript fonts and libtiff are all you need
outside of hylafax. You'll probably want minicom or similar for testing your
modems.

> - In South Africa I can only really get hold of major brand modems and
> locally packaged modems, does anyone know of class 2 and 2.0 Modems in SA
> that would work well?

I use Multitech modems in class 1, quite good. Most modems will work in
class 1, and it is largely recommended to use class 1, as it can help
circumvent any firmware bugginess that may exist. I've also got some
Multitech's that don't speak class 1, they work well in 2.