Re: [hylafax-users] New Windows client for Hylafax - fax service provider (HylaFSP)

On 2003.07.22 06:35 sergesandler@optusnet.com.au wrote:
> There is a beta version of the fax service provider for Hylafax
> available at
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~hssandler1/.
>
> This is a driver in Windows format to make use of Hylafax from Windows
> 2000/XP FAX Console, "Send Fax" wizard, Outlook or programmatic
> interface.
>
> Please comment on the subject.

Your site states:

"Behind the scene, the fax service renders the document to be sent into
a tiff file, and the rendering is done with the high quality."

"The above is the motivation for implementing the Fax Service Provider
(FSP) for HylaFAX to enable to use Windows Fax Service to send faxes
via HylaFAX. This eliminates, in particular, a need for a PostScript
printer and for conversion from ps to tif formats (having enhanced
quality of the image as a side effect)."

I think that you have misunderstood how faxq prepares facsimile
documents.

There is practically no way that the client program can know what the
ultimate session parameters (in particular resolution and compression)
will be, and so it is futile for a client program to attempt to submit
documents in a format in which it expects them to be transmitted.

If the server receives a TIFF image file and it does not formatted
properly for the fax session, faxq will convert it to PostScript first
and then back to TIFF.  This process sometimes causes a bit of image
distortion... AND, if the resolution is going up, the facsimile will
appear more "grainy" than it should need to.

My recommendation would be to always submit documents in PostScript,
which skips the first conversion step mentioned and (assuming all
embedded graphics are vectorized) allows the image to be rendered at
any resolution without any image quality loss.

Lee.