Re: [hylafax-users] destctrls

On 2003.05.28 10:21 Michael Morel wrote:

> I have have spent quite a bit of time trying to find info in FAQ, etc.
>
> Redhat 7.3 hylafax 4.1.5-1  2.4.20-13.7smp #1 SMP
>
> I have one location that constantly gives RSPREC error/got DCN code 51
> I would like to try to have the modem use CLASS 1 when sending to this
> destination. Class 2 seems to work just fine to almost everywhere
> else.

Why not just use Class 1 for all destinations?

> I have two multitech modems.
> I have destctrls setup in config and the file destctrls created, but I
> cannot seem to figure out
> how to get the modem to use class 1 when dialing the particular host.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction please.

Firstly your etc/config.ttyXX file must contain proper configurations
for both Class 2 and Class 1 except that you should only use one
ModemType (the default) entry.

> destctrls:
>
> ^[+]14132364211  MaxTries = 10
> ^[+]14132476544  MaxTries = 10

Then you have a line...

^[+]14135551212 ModemType = Class1

This does nothing for receiving, though.  Reception will always use the
default.

I've considered using this approach before, and I know others do use
it, but personally I've found it better to just use Class 1 always and
to fix any Class 1 bugs that may arise (and there haven't been many)
when the modem's Class 2/2.0/2.1 either has persistent unresolveable
bugs like these you see or does not have any useful features beyond
HylaFAX's Class 1.  I tend to believe that as long as there are
firmware bugs plaguing you, all the time you spend trying to coax a
workaround ultimately is wasted as ultimately you'll buy a new modem
with a Class 2 firmware that is supported by the manufacturer or you'll
switch to Class 1.  Save yourself the wasted time.

Lee.